Friday, October 30, 2009

"GOODBYE, GOODBYE, PARTING IS SUCH SWEET SORROW..."

Dear Friends,

Well, my time here on Crete is once again winding down. Just as I did last year, I am already starting to feel a little melancholy about leaving. I posted a comment on one of the eariler entries on my blog in which I stated that my time here has been much like an affair, with Crete as my mistress!

This year I have visited Iraklion numerous times, dropped by the American base to photograph the AFRTS building, traveled to Chania to buy a traditional Cretan knife, journeyed to the little mountain village of Anogia, hiked the distance of the Samaria Gorge where I broke my toe, trekked to Matala where I photographed the caves (Roman tombs), and just kicked back and relaxed down at Popi's beachside taverna in the little village of Amoudara. I haven’t traveled as far or done as much as I had hoped; I think being laid up for the two weeks with my broken toe had a lot to do with that. So...here is the question: Was it all worth it? To sum it up in just one word, the answer would have to be a resounding, “Yes!”

The friendships that were established last year with my Cretan friends have been reinforced by this year’s visit. And, I have made new friends from Germany, England, Holland and Belgium. I have also had the pleasure of crossing paths momentarily with people whom I have met on a bus or in a taverna - people whom I probably will never see again, but during those few moments that our lives have intersected, I have come away feeling a little richer for having met them, even if but for a brief period of time. Sometimes I feel that our lives are much more affected by the people we meet, than the places we visit along the way, and perhaps that’s the way it should be. People leave impressions on our hearts, while the places we visit leave only shadows!

I will leave my apartment and Amoudara this evening at about 10:00 P.M. and head for the Nikos Kazantzakis International Airport at the eastern edge of Iraklion. Even though my flight from Crete to Athens doesn’t depart until 8:00 A.M. tomorrow morning, I will need to be at the airport at about 6:00 A.M., which would require that I get up no later than 4:30 A.M., leave my apartment and catch a taxi to the airport (the bus system doesn’t run that early). And, if I were to oversleep (which I have been known to do), then I would be up a $#i! creek!!! So, it’s just easier to take the bus to the airport tonight, and doze on one of the benches inside the airport, until time to board my plane tomorrow morning.

And, lastly, I have enjoyed sharing my adventures on OUR island of Crete once again with the commentaries and my photographs on my blog. My goal has been to both inform and entertain you – if I have done either, than I shall consider my blog to have been a success!

Thanks for reading my blog and for you comments! And, as always, take care, stay well, and let me hear from you.

Your Friend and Fellow “Silent Warrior”,

Bob Armistead
NOTE: CLICK ON PHOTO FOR A LARGER IMAGE

Bob Armistead enjoys one final Mythos beer at Popi's Taverna.
"Yiasou!!!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob,

Just two simple but heartfelt words:

Thank You.

Steve Dietz
Dover, Pennsylvania
IAS 1981-1984

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob have a good flight and come good home.
Greetings Günter and Ute

MAC said...

Bobby,I know what you mean.I miss it as soon as I arrive at the Iraklion airporton my way out.mac.

Anonymous said...

My wife and I have just moved from England to live on Crete permanently. I hope you'll get in touch when you return (as I know you will!)

Martin & Gill

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.